Sunday, September 27, 2009

Send Me to Antarctica

I recently submitted an entry to become a blogger for a trip to Antarctica. What follows is my application.

Send me! There are several reasons why you should.

First of all, I am an excellent story teller. This is important for Antarctica since I can’t imagine there are too many things that are happening there. While most people would write something like;

Day 3. Woke up. Walked out of tent. Screamed. Ran back in and went back to bed.

I would write something like;

Day 3. Woke up in a blissful refuge of confusion and silly delight as the southern corner of the earth provides wonderment at every moment. I engaged myself with my wintery garb prior to emerging from my temporary housing to a world screaming with the cool briskness of a land untouched.

See? That’s good right? And that was just about leaving the tent. Imagine if I actually met a polar bear or found some cool frozen thing to write about. Then you would have some stuff that would really make you smile.

I would also be really eco-friendly. I would not throw trash on the streets. I would not leave the lights on in my tent when I left it. If I have a toilet, I won’t flush it too many times. Heck, I might not even shower the whole time I’m there.

But my main goal is to attract enough attention so that Antarctica can host the 2022 Winter Olympics. I believe the 2022 Winter Olympics could bring some tremendous growth and industry to the region. Without the Olympics, Antarctica will survive sure. But I want it to thrive. And that will be my goal if you pick me.

So please. Send me to Antarctica. Let me wear a silly hat and face temperatures no human being should ever have to encounter. Send me, and you won’t regret it!

History is full of examples of people who didn't discover their real creative abilities until they discovered the media in which they thought best. - Sir Ken Robinson